Ridley Scott is no stranger to the historical epic; his résumé includes several instances, including Gladiator and, more recently, The Last Duel.
Now, the director of Alien and Blade Runner is tackling the life of the famous French military commander Napoleon Bonaparte, and the picture, starring Joaquin Phoenix, has all the makings of an epic in every sense of the word.
Scott is not the first director to attempt Napoleon’s life on film; in 1927, a legendary silent French film on the subject was completed, clocking in at over five hours in length. Stanley Kubrick also reportedly planned a biographical epic that was never realized.
However, if the trailer for the upcoming film is any indication, moviegoers are in for a real feast, with fight scenes, parades, and plenty of political intrigue.
When may moviegoers in the United States expect to see Napoleon? And will it zero in on a particular time or event in his life, or will it be more… broad? Keep reading to find out the solutions to these problems and more.
Napoleon Movie Release Date
Napoleon, a historical drama directed by Ridley Scott and set to release on November 22, 2023, is expected to be one of the year’s most successful films. This means it will go up against Disney’s Wish, which also debuts around the Thanksgiving holiday, as well as earlier this month’s releases like Dune Part Two, The Marvels, and The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.
Since Sony Pictures and Apple collaborated on Napoleon, the film will be made available to Apple TV+ subscribers at some point in the future. The movie’s premiere date on streaming services is currently unknown. Stay tuned for further details on the arrival of Napoleon to the streaming library of new and recent films.
Who is in Napoleon’s Cast?
Below is a complete list of the actors in the film:
- Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France
- Vanessa Kirby as Empress Joséphine
- Tahar Rahim as Paul Barras
- Ben Miles as Caulaincourt
- Ludivine Sagnier as Theresa Cabarrus, Madame Tallien
- Matthew Needham as Lucien Bonaparte
- Youssef Kerkour as Marshal Davout
- Phil Cornwell as Sanson ‘The Bourreau’
- Édouard Philipponnat as Tsar Alexander I of Russia
- Ian McNeice as TBD
- Paul Rhys as Talleyrand
- Catherine Walker as Marie-Antoinette
- Gavin Spokes as Moulin
- John Hollingworth as Marshal Ney
- Mark Bonnar as Jean-Andoche Junot
- Anna Mawn as The Archduchess Marie-Louise
- Davide Tucci as Lazare Hoche
- Sam Crane as Jacques-Louis David
- Scott Handy as Marshal Berthier
Joaquin Phoneix is the star of the program as the titular Emperor and he’s accompanied by Vannessa Kirby as his wife Empress Joséphine – with The Crown star having replaced Jodie Comer after the latter walked out due to schedule difficulties.
Other familiar names in the cast include The Serpent’s Tahar Rahim as politician Paul Barras and Hijack’s Ben Miles as Napoleon’s close advisor Caulaincourt, while there are also roles for the likes of Lupin’s Ludivine Sagnier, Sanditon’s Matthew Needham and Home’s Youssef Kerkour.
Is There a Trailer for ‘Napoleon’?
The first official trailer for Napoleon was published by Sony Pictures and Apple on July 10, 2023. The teaser for the historical epic gives us a taste of the massive war scenes to come and a glimpse into the relationship between the film’s titular monarch and his wife Joséphine. Napoleon posters and promotional photos have been coming out in droves ever since the trailer debuted.
You can also read about other similar articles by visiting the links below:
- What is Percy Jackson Release Date and Who Plays the Cast of Percy Jackson and the Olympians?
- Is The Watcher True Story Based On a Real Event? Has Anyone Ever Apprehended the Watcher?