Senior Fears Eviction After Oregon Pays Rent To The Incorrect Landlord

Incorrect Landlord: After suffering injuries in a vehicle accident, Mary Bowers lost her employment last year. She applied for emergency rental assistance in Oregon and was approved.

Senior Fears Eviction After Oregon Pays Rent To The Incorrect Landlord

Bowers, an elderly citizen with a disability, has until midnight to pay more than $9500 after receiving a 72-hour eviction notice over the weekend.

They contacted her in May 2022 to let her know the remainder of the year’s rent was covered after only covering a portion of her perks the previous year.

She did, however, relocate in March.

Bowers told us, “We confirmed the new landlord because I couldn’t delete the previous landlord.

Read More:-

However, payments went to Bowers’ previous apartment, which was under Wonder Dog Management’s management from July to November.

Portland’s East Point Apartments on December 19, 2022
The money went to the incorrect management business due to a “processing error,” the Oregon Housing and Community Services Department informed us.

Senior Fears Eviction After Oregon Pays Rent To The Incorrect Landlord
Senior Fears Eviction After Oregon Pays Rent To The Incorrect Landlord

Before Bowers informed them just before Thanksgiving, state housing authorities were unaware that the payments were being sent to the incorrect location. A portion of the rent was reimbursed by Wonder Dog Management, but OERAP wouldn’t pay for her new housing until they received full reimbursement.

Even though utilities are covered by a lawsuit against Wonder Dog, emails Bowers gave to us reveal Wonder Dog Management claimed she still owed late fees and other debts.

The majority of the funds come from a portion of rent that the state was supposed to pay.

That’s because of how the initial rent aid program was set up during the epidemic. When evictions were prohibited, the Landlord Compensation Fund initially paid 80% of a tenant’s rent when a landlord asked for it. Taxes were to be waived or written off for the remaining 20%. Later, after a renter requested assistance, a modification was made by the Oregon legislature that provided funding for 100% of the rent to be paid.

However, OERAP was only covering 80% of Bowers’ rent. The 20% that Wonder Dog Management believes she still owes them was preserved.

Even if they are the previous landlord, Margot Black, a tenant rights advocate, said it was unlawful for the landlord to have accepted the check. “Using the cheque to cover late fines is against the law.

Even though emails reveal the management business verified Bowers’ last day was in March, Wonder Dog Management affirmed Bowers lived there when OERAP contacted them in October.

The money was never meant for the previous landlord, according to Black. “They were requested months after she left the previous residence and provided the required notice. Her status as a non-tenant at the time was never in question.

Read More:-

Bowers’ choices, according to Black, are restricted since her new landlord, Legacy Property Management has the legal authority to remove her if she doesn’t pay.

According to the source, “Not obtaining the OERAP monies because your prior landlord committed fraud is not a justification for an eviction.”

You can visit focushillsboro.com for the latest information and news. If you have any queries or suggestions can put them in our comment section.

About The Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top