Air And Ground Rescue Efforts Are Launched When An Oregon Climber Becomes Disoriented

On Friday, a seasoned climber from Oregon had to dial 911 for assistance after she lost her bearings while descending the South Sister mountain. This was not the first time the woman had descended in this manner.

The 61-year-old climber, who was once from Bend, Oregon, said that he had previously filed the mountain’s hikers’ trail multiple times. After numerous failed calls, she finally told the responding emergency workers that she and her dog had been trekking alone. She added that she had lost touch with both her trekking partner and the trail she had grown accustomed to.

Her 911 calls, according to the source, prompted a search and rescue operation that involved an AirLink chopper. Around 4:20 p.m. local time, the initial call was received. But soon after she was patched through, the woman lost touch because of poor cellular reception. The woman was contacted several times by dispatchers. They even made an effort to locate her, but there was no signal, so they were unable to do so.

The woman eventually succeeded in entering again by herself. She gave first responders the reassurance that she did possess the food, water, warm clothing, and an extra phone battery. In addition, the woman alerted the responding authorities to the possibility of a second missing individual someplace else along the mountain trail.

Teams of Search and Rescue are sent out to find a missing climber.

Although it was challenging to find the missing climber, numerous rescue teams were reportedly looking for her, according to the publication.

The Deschutes County sheriff’s deputy and assistant Search and Rescue coordinator, Donny Patterson, described the extensive use of personnel that went into saving the climber.

Air And Ground Rescue Efforts Are Launched
Air And Ground Rescue Efforts Are Launched

After receiving a 911 call and numerous unsuccessful attempts, the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office dispatched numerous teams. Twelve search and rescue volunteers, a sergeant, and two Special Services deputies were all involved, according to the outlet. AirLink responded when dispatchers contacted them and offered to conduct an aerial search for the missing woman.

After finally locating the woman, the AirLink crew transmitted her location to ground personnel. The woman was led away from the area by rescuers after they found her at about 8:15 p.m., according to the outlet. At the Devils Lake Trailhead, she met her partner again.

Getting lost in that way must have been terrifying for a seasoned climber like the one who summited South Sister. She revealed to the search and rescue crews that she had lived in Bend for 17 years and had ascended that particular peak twelve times after being located safe. Sadly, she was unable to recall how she got off the well-known track, but she did speculate that possibly she had mistaken a spur trail for the main one.

The third tallest mountain in the state with its 10,358-foot peak is South Sister.

You can check out for the latest news. If you have any queries or suggestions can put them in our comment section.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top